Well, here goes nothing. This is the first time I have engaged in blogging of any kind, so for now this is probably going to be an exercise in free writing. But since that could probably mean going on tangents and talking on and on about things that are unrelated I will try to keep this structured around the course as the instructions advise.
CSC 104 is the first computer science course I have taken at the university level, despite me being in the fourth year of my studies here. The reason for that is that this is not my field. I am a political science major and this is serving as a science half-credit for me. Since I had to take one, I thought why not try a basic computer science course? After all, computers are becoming more and more central in the every-day lives of everyone. Whether you are a journalist, historian, political scientist or a doctor, chances are that you have a computer and that it plays an important role in your daily routine. Therefore, knowing something more about computers and computing would not hurt.
I can claim to know some basic things about computers and programming, however my only course on some very basic computer programming was back in high school, and the memories of that had almost completely escaped my mind. The first two weeks of this course however have done a good job of bringing back some of those memories. So far the course has been not only informative, but also enjoyable and enlightening in a way. As a bonus, at least judging on what I have seen so far, the learning curve is steep but the difficulty curve is not.
All in all it has been a refreshingly different experience from the year-to-year and day-to-day routines of my field. Not only is the subject matter and the teaching style new, but along with them comes a package of what I find unique and curious things to try, such as the task of physically going to a computer lab in the Bahen Center in order to set up the CDF account (Note to self: I still have to do that by the way). Oh, and of course, let's not forget that because of this course I just started my first blog. Who knows, it might become a habit...
No comments:
Post a Comment